We are pleased to see the continuing recognition of the Excelsior District’s history and heritage with the recent induction of Royal Bakery (4773 Mission Street) to San Francisco’s Legacy Business Registry. The bakery is located inside the landmark Royal Baking Company building, known for its distinctive Art-Deco design and its two large double-brick Dutch ovens that have been in service since 1935.
Royal Bakery was first established in 1925 by Pellegrino Matteucci, John Mazzini, Jack Cima, Mario Cafferata, and Rudolph Paladini (read more about the Excelsior District’s Italian heritage here). The business, originally called Royal Baking Company, was first located in the North Beach neighborhood, but after 1935 had relocated to its present location in the Excelsior District. Two other locations were briefly opened on Filbert Street and Columbus Avenue between 1936 and 1940.
In 1982, Sara Monroy purchased the Royal Baking Company from the Italian owners. Her husband and experienced baker, Isaac Monroy, an immigrant from Guanajuato, Mexico, also worked at the bakery. After Sara’s passing in 1996, Isaac took over the business and changed the name to New Royal Bakery. Today, Mr. Monroy’s wife, Juana Nuno Chavez, and his stepdaughter, Laura Nuno, attend to the day-to-day operations. Laura’s son Javier Garcia and her brother Juan Ramirez also work at the bakery. The business, just as it has historically, is known for its quality variety of classic French and Italian breads and pastries.
San Francisco Heritage highlighted the history of the Royal Baking Company building during our very first Heritage in the Neighborhoods spotlight month in 2020, which focused on the Excelsior District. You can read more about the building’s history here. Read Royal Bakery’s complete legacy business application here.